Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I am Legend

This weekend I listened to the I am Legend Audiobook. I saw the movie adaptation whenever it came out and I really enjoyed it. After reading the book however I do believe the original written version was far better. It was definitely far more creepy. The scene where Neville has just buried his wife and then she shows up pawing at the front door was one of my favorites. It is rare that a book can work up my anticipation scare me as much or more than film can. I liked that in the book Neville is not a scientist previous to the breakout as he was in the movie. He is self taught from going to the library and conducting his own experiments. The biggest difference and the part that really made the book so much better than the movie was the ending. I'm usually a sucker for happy endings, and while the movie ending wasn't completely sunshine and rainbows it didn't compare to the book ending. It completely twisted from what I was expecting. Neville had been killing all of the living vampires that he could during the day, knowing/thinking that they would eventually become the full on living dead vampire. And while Neville is doing this you don't have any problem with it; it makes perfect sense to you. Then in the end it turns everything around on you. These living vampire have found a way to keep from dying and have been starting a new civilization. Neville has actually become the monster. He is no longer the normal but the weird. And he has been slaughtering these people in their sleep who have been trying to start a new civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment