Monday, October 8, 2012

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

I attempted to read this book in high school and remember losing interest within the first 2 chapters. I was expecting the same experience this time but was surprised. Frankenstein was one of the original Gothic horror stories. Its has all of the archetypes of a gothic novel including  the virgin maiden (Frankensteins adopted sister), the tyrant (Frankenstein's creation), and of course the hero (Frankenstein).

 I found the relationship between Frankenstein and his creature particularly appealing. I have heard the basic story of Frankenstein 100 times and in my mind I always pictured Frankenstein's creation as the heartless, dumb, monster; and pictured Frankenstein as a victim. After reading the story I realize this is not the case at all. Frankenstein creates a living creature that is so hideous that no one will even give him a chance to be a good person, and then on top of this Frankenstein refuses to give love to, communicate with, or acknowledge  his creation in any way besides condemning him.

This book makes you question what really defines a monster. Is a monster just someone/something that is physically inhuman, ugly, or gross? Or maybe a monster is someone who is more emotionally and psychologically inhuman and ugly.

The creation is always referred to as the monster because of his appearance and his arguably understandable response(murder) to the way people are treating him. It seems to me though that Frankenstein is far more monster like; he gives life to something and refuses to give the creature any chance of living a happy or at all satisfying life. Even when he has the opportunity and is in the process of making a mate for the creature he changes his mind at the last moment. He has basically created a creature to be tortured and miserable for as long as it lives.

Something else that I noticed different in the book than from what I have always heard was that Frankenstein's creation was not only capable of speaking, but was extremely well spoken. I have always pictured the creation in my head as a grunting fool who couldn't form any words, and this was certainly not the case in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment